Freedom Uganda reporting some of the many unlawfully arrested and abuse of human rights inflicted by Uganda Police, army and military on the people of Uganda. On December 30, 2020, many of presidential campaign team for Presidential candidate Robert Sentamu Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine were arrested by the Uganda military and are held in various detention centers including military barracks. These are few pictures of the many Ugandans unlawfully arrested, kidnapped, detained, tortured, abused and some killed or their whereabouts unknown.
The right is enshrined in Articles 9 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights:
1. Everyone has the right to liberty and security of person. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest or detention. No one shall be deprived of his liberty except on such grounds and in accordance with such procedure as are established by law.
2. Anyone who is arrested shall be informed, at the time of arrest, of the reasons for his arrest and shall be promptly informed of any charges against him.
3. Anyone arrested or detained on a criminal charge shall be brought promptly before a judge or other officer authorized by law to exercise judicial power and shall be entitled to trial within a reasonable time or to release. It shall not be the general rule that persons awaiting trial shall be detained in custody, but release may be subject to guarantees to appear for trial, at any other stage of the judicial proceedings, and, should occasion arise, for execution of the judgement.
4. Anyone who is deprived of his liberty by arrest or detention shall be entitled to take proceedings before a court, in order that that court may decide without delay on the lawfulness of his detention and order his release if the detention is not lawful.
5. Anyone who has been the victim of unlawful arrest or detention shall have an enforceable right to compensation.